Saturday, May 24, 2008

Family letter 24.5.08

Last Sunday I went to St John's 11 am service with Chris, Maryanne and Noel Golding. Graeme Begbie gave a powerful sermon on Jephtha's promise which led to the death of his daughter, and I hope to hear it again broadcast on a Sunday night in a few weeks' time. Afterwards we went to lunch at Parramatta RSL and I chose chicken schnitzel with chips and vegs. The schnitzel, larger than a bread and butter plate, was shaped like a map of Australia. I ate the eastern half and kept Western Australia to finish at home.
An email from Stephen Rout said his sister Jenny had been working in the Panda centre in China but she had left and arrived safely in Singapore.

The recent issue of "Village Voice" quarterly ARV magazine, included Isabel Young's name as having passed away in Henry Fulton Nursing Home on l Feb 2008. She is the second member of our family to be listed among ARV residents.

Andrew wrote that Win had been on the Wm Cape bus trip to the Entrance and enjoyed it. Grace had a lovely time last Wednesday when Heidi came for the day. There was still a vestige of Autumn colour and the day was sunny (that calls for gratitude when the mountains can be wet and dull, disappointing for visitors. HH) Heidi, Chris and Grace worked together in the garden for a few hours after having morning tea. After a late lunch Heidi returned home on the train. She will be having a holiday in Ballina in June, doing nice things with the family. There was to be a working bee today to get the Blackheath rectory ready after having no resident minister for almost 2 years. Tomorrow they farewell their locum minister and his wife and next Saturday they welcome the new minister.

Jo sent an email up-date: "I am having a great time. I did another talk for Spotlight (the Christian group) on Thursday. It was easier to prepare, as I have joined the Oxfordshire Library and had access to good resources. I am now taking a group of Yr 3's by myself for recorder lessons on a Tuesday and have been asked to supervise some music practice. Sailing club is a new addition this term. I try to think of myself as a missionary to the Dragon School and wait to see what more God has in store for me. The weather warmed up suddenly last week but it has now cooled off a bit. The long evenings are lovely and I was woken this morning at 5 am by the light - such a difference to a couple of months ago. Half-term holiday starts this week (Thursday till Wednesday) and I am going to be spending time with my godmother Roz, who is over here at the moment. We plan to see a lot of shows around London and in Oxford as well as museums, gardens etc."

I don't know why my posted letters took so long to be delivered this week. I did forget to leave them with the Goldings on Sunday but took them downstairs after tea and asked a friend, who is always keen to help, to put them in the box which should have been cleared on Monday morning. I found out from two people that they had not been received them by Thursday and would have enquired at the office this morning but both Joan G and Betty P rang last night, and Ruth Thrift and Lindsay rang this morning to let me know theirs had been delivered. Lindsay told me he and four ladies had been taken by bus from Wm Cape to Kanwal Anglican Church for a luncheon The Goldings are away this weekend but the Stanleys are going to pick me up for the 9.30 am service at St John's tomorrow, where the Meriden school choir are to sing.

I went on our Kilvinton bus trip on Tuesday to 'Pie in the Sky' near Brooklyn. We left at noon and had hot steak pie with gravy, green peas and mashed potato, followed by hot apple pie and cream and cappuccino. The cafe is situated on the old Pacific Highway overlooking Brooklyn, with some tables inn the shop and others under the trees. We had to miss church, but I chose my hymns for next Tuesday and did some practice after the singing group on Thursday afternoon. We had our Bible discussion on Wednesday afternoon. I saw several movies this week, including a Shirley Temple one and one with Nicole Kidman in it. The old films have no bad language, unlike the present TV. Next week we will have morning tea in our large hall to raise funds for cancer research. I used to go to that when my Parramatta hairdressers served lovely home-made cakes and slices.
The brake cable on the left side of my walker broke (last time it was the right-hand one) and I put a repair request into the box downstairs just before lunch yesterday. As I came back from lunch the maintenance man was waiting to fix it. I asked him to turn my room heater on and he did that, too. When my bed linen was changed on Thursday I was given a warm bedspread. It looks nice but is too heavy and I don't need it with the room heater on.
Tonight I had my usual chat with Jean in Ballina.

All send their love,
Hilda

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Carmela and I tried out the coffee shop at the Anglican church where Lindsay does his woodworking, and we were quite impressed by the quality of the home-made cooking. Carmela gave the ladies a lesson in frothing milk properly for capuccinos, and we resolved to recommend the coffee shop to our friends.
Andrew Rose